Engine Repair in Meridian, ID
How does an engine work?
Toyota, Honda, Ford, and Hyundai may have different types of engines inside them, but they all work the same way. Simply put, an internal-combustion engine (the engine found in vehicles) is a heat engine that converts energy from the heat of burning gasoline to mechanical work, or torque. The torque is applied to the wheels, which make your car move. Engines have pistons that move up and down metal tubes called cylinders. Pistons are connected to a crankshaft via rods, and move up and down to power the crankshaft, which then power the wheels of your car. Vehicles will have between 2 and 12 cylinders in its engine.
An engine's pistons are powered by thousands of controlled explosions created by mixing fuel with oxygen, creating combustions. The heat and expanding gases from these mini-explosions push down on the piston in the cylinder, causing movement. Engines need air (namely oxygen) to burn fuel. During the intake stroke, valves open to allow the piston to act like a syringe as it moves downward, drawing in ambient air through the engine's intake system. When the piston reaches the bottom of its stroke, the intake valves close, effectively sealing the cylinder for the compression stroke, which is in the opposite direction as the intake stroke. The upward movement of the piston compresses the intake charge. We at Heritage Auto Repair in Meridian know all about how engines work, and can make the appropriate repairs as efficiently as possible.
How do I know if my engine needs repairs?
A vehicle’s engine is an intricate machine that is fundamental to getting you from one destination to another. Because of this, you should not ignore any issues with your engine. It is always a good idea to bring in your vehicle for smaller engine fixes rather than wait for a larger problem to occur that could cause severe damage to your car and cost you a lot more. If you are concerned about the health of your engine, you can bring your vehicle to Heritage Auto Repair in Meridian. We specialize in oil changes, fluid services and tune-ups or transmission repair, as well as engine repair. We can determine if the problem lies in your engine head gasket, exhaust system, catalytic converter, or something else.
Here are some of our tips for preventative maintenance to keep your engine running smoothly and avoid major problems:
- Change your oil regularly and use the recommended weight of oil.
- Change your timing belt at your manufacturers' recommended interval.
- Give your engine time to warm up before driving if possible, especially when the weather is cold. This will let the oil get into all parts of the engine before putting a large load on the engine.
Some warning signs of a faulty engine include:
- Your vehicle’s “Check Engine” light is on.
This light turning on could mean the oxygen sensor needs replacing, the catalytic converter is damaged, the fuel cap is loose, or something else. Whatever the reason is, a "Check Engine" light should not be ignored.
- The engine does not start when you turn your key in the ignition.
This usually indicates a problem with the way your engine processes fuel.
- Your vehicle is consuming more fuel than usual (you are getting less miles per gallon).
- You feel shaking and/or hear strange noises coming from underneath your vehicle’s hood.
Whether you would like to bring your vehicle in for preventative engine maintenance or a more extensive engine repair, we at Heritage Auto Repair in Meridian can take care of all your auto repair needs.
Your award-winning local Shop for Engine Repair
Having engine troubles can be daunting, but at Heritage Auto Repair, we can ease your anxieties. Serving communities in Ada County, Boise, Eagle, Kuna, Nampa and surrounding areas since 1999, our expertly trained and ASE certified technicians and owner Tony Zanders have a vast amount of knowledge on different types of engines and we provide thorough, high-quality service that will get you back on the road as soon as possible.
Here are some reasons why you should choose us:
- Family owned and operated since we opened
- Voted “Best in the Treasure Valley” and “Best in Idaho” for automotive repair in 2020
- Currently a nationally recognized “Gold Certified” Napa Autocare Center
- We have a review score of 5 based on reviews from 800 satisfied customers.
- Shuttle service to get you where you need to be
In addition to engine repair, we also perform services such as oil changes, fluid services and tune-ups or transmission repair. If you are in the 83642-2440 area or nearby, we'd love to see you stop by. Feel free to schedule an appointment with us online or give us a call at 208-887-1442 today!